My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Monday, September 04, 2006

House of Wonders


Thursday, September 8, 2005

Right next to the Arab fort was a very large blocky white building, several stories high and with a long row of columns out front.

This building is known as the House of Wonders or Beit el Ajaib, and was built in 1883 as a ceremonial palace for the Sultan Barghash.

What were the wonders it contained?

Well, it was the first building in Zanzibar, and indeed perhaps all of East Africa, to have electric lights and an electric elevator. I think it had running water too. Very exciting stuff for the time and place.

Nowadays there are plans for it to open it as the National Museum.

Today I didn't go inside but watched as the ornate front door with spiky brass studs was polished and petted the multitude of underfed cats brushing against us in the parking-lot out front.

There is a huge cat over-population problem here and I suspect the cost of spaying and neutering is simply not feasible in Zanazibar (or probably the rest of Africa either).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org