My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

To Nairobi

Sunday, August 28, 2005

As the sun rose through pink clouds we crossed the equator and flew over the plains of Kenya towards Nairobi. There were glimpses of lakes down below and here and there a hilltop poked its head out of the mist.

As we came in for a landing over the outskirts of Nairobi the pretty dawn dissipated and left the landscape flat and yellow under drear skies. We didn't see much of the city, just some tin shacks and sprawling slums. The sky glowered; it looked like it was going to rain. I was glad I'd brought something warm to wear.

The passport control area at Jomo Kenyatta International was painted in depressing high-school hallway shades of orange.

Swarms of people formed uncertain lines that moved haphazardly forward, sometimes stopping and reforming in other places as Kenyan officials grinned merrily as they spontaneously disappeared from various wickets, leaving the people in front of it scrambling to join another line.


I think if there is a Hell it will probably involve frustrating airport line-ups. My family finally emerges with African entry stamps in our passports.

Our bags have all miraculously arrived as well. On this trip we are loaded down with sleeping bags and mats as well as back-packs. This is my first trip where I've had to check baggage. I prefer to travel as lightly as possible, but at least we don't have to bring our own tents.

It wasn't difficult to find the safari group leader. He was a young and cheerful Australian fellow named Wayne. As soon as the group had assembled and had changed some money to Kenyan schillings, he led us out to the parking lot where our overland vehicle awaited us.

It was right out of Mad Max --a lumbering truck-bus-tank. We were assigned narrow lockers that we poured our neatly-packed baggage into willy-nilly. Sleeping bags were stowed. Twenty strangers introduced themselves to one another and we were off.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

I can hear it now..."Hello, George...where are we off to now!?!"

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org