My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Tinga Tinga at St. Monica's Gallery

Thursday, September 8, 2005
The next stop was an art studio and gallery in Stonetown, housed in an old stone building run as St. Monica's Hostel on the grounds of an Anglican cathedral.

We were soon to find that this building housed a bleak dungeon that was once used during the time of the slave trade on Zanzibar, but more on that later.

Most of the artwork here were paintings in the Tinga Tinga style, a stylized and very whimsical form of painting, a sort of African impressionism first popularized by an artist named Edward Said Tinga tinga (1937-1972).

The subject of the paintings were usually African animals, painted with enamel bicycle paint on muslin fabric or masonite boards. The animals were bright and colourful and fantastical, almost resembling cartoons.

It's a very cheerful art form and I was happy to find one I liked for ten dollars. Rolled up into a tight cylinder and wrapped in newspaper, the painting wouln't take up very much room in my backpack.

I took some photos of others that I liked and Jeff's mom bought several pieces as Christmas gifts.

The alleyways and beaches here in Zanzibar are filled with tinga tinga paintings, leaning against walls and propped up in rows on the sand. I bought two others later on, including one similar to the paint-speckled zebras I took a photo of here.

I noticed after a while that although the paintings varied a little from place to place, there were great similarities of theme too. The pictures of the stylized Maasai people in red seemd particularly ubiquitous.



1 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

I think I rather like that Maasai painting.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org