My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Rift Valley Look-out

Sunday, August 28, 2005

The air immediately freshens as we leave the city and head up a hilly road. Our first stop is a look-out point over the countryside of the Rift Valley where merchants are gathered to sell sheepskins, colourful blankets, and wooden animals.


Ah, tourists! The merchants beam as we dismount from our vehicle.

I have firmly resolved not to buy souvenirs the first day--I want to buy wooden elephants after I've seen a live one and not before. Besides, the nature of the little lockers in the truck give us a natural restriction on how much shopping we'll be able to do.

One of the merchants, an elderly man dressed in layers of blankets, joins me at the look-out balcony. He shows me three Canadian pins he has collected from people passing through.

The pilings for these look-out buildings look as if they might crumble down the hillside at any moment, but they hold firm long enough to see us on our way again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org