My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Marhubi Palace Ruins

Thursday, September 8, 2005

Back in our mini-vans, we all headed out of Stonetown toward the Marhubi ruins.

On the way, we passed the Livingstone House , of "Dr. Livingstone-I-Presume" fame. It's a tall red-roofed building with rows of shuttered windows that now serves as a tourist office but was first the house of a Sultan back around 1860, and then the starting point of the adventures of many missionaries and explorers. Dr. David Livingstone lived here before beginning his famous last trip into Africa's mainland.

Later on we briefly explore the Marhubi Palace ruins, which are the crumbled remains of where a sultan had "many com-fort-able times with the ladies", Ali informs us with a wink.

It burned down accidentally in 1899 and was used by the sultan's secondary wives. It was so ruined that it was hard to imagine what the palace might actually have been like, but one thing is for certain: it did not suffer from lack of bathrooms. Everywhere you looked, there were the remains of enormous stone pools and sunken tubs.

"Oh yes", said Ali, "And all the bathrooms were...ensuite". (nudge nudge, wink wink )

The Marhubi ruins were also notable for a rather pretty lily pond, a nearby nest of ginger and white kittens, an abundance of palm trees on the grounds, and a domed roof in one section of the building where sunlight poured magnificently through the circular holes in the roof onto...a dead bat being eaten by ants.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org