My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Nungwi, Zanzibar

Friday, September 9, 2005

Today we travelled about two hours north from Stonetown, up a very bumpy rural road and past several police checks to the village of Nungwi on the northernmost tip of Zanzibar.

We arrived at our villa under skies threatening a storm. The clouds were deep blue and grey and cast an eerie and beautiful light.

The first thing we did upon arriving was go for a long beach walk and then found a beachside restaurant to have lunch. This was to become a pattern over the next two days: beach walks and eating at pretty oceanview cafes. The beaches of the North Coast are a pretty laidback place to be.

The sand is white and fine here, but the water is cloudy with seaweed. There are spiky black sea urchins in the water too. I am not immediately drawn to go wading and swimming as some people are in our group (they were barely out of our van before they had towels around their waists and were racing to the water), but I do love looking at the water and the local people fishing in their boats.

As usual, I am fascinated by all the beautiful little seashells I find as I wandered along the sand. Eventually I decided to put most of them back on the beach but before I did I photographed them. There are children selling larger and more exotic seashells on the beach too.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org