My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Lodhi Gardens, Delhi

November 8, 2008

So, following our plan that we visit some of Delhi's more peaceful spots today, we next had Raj drive us from Humayun's tomb to the sprawling Lodhi Gardens, an oasis of lawns and trees in this busy city.







According to guide books, Lodhi Gardens was originally the site of two villages surrounding monuments surviving from the 15th century Sayyid and Lodhi dynasties, but the villagers were relocated in 1936 in order to create the gardens, which ere landscaped by the British. As there is little architecture from these two periods remaining in India, Lodhi Gardens is an important place of preservation. The tomb of Mohammed Shah is visible from the road, and is the earliest structure in the gardens.

Here Jeff and I saw , as well as ancient Indian tombs, a very helpful series of signs which identified the birdlife we saw in this area (cuckoos and mynah birds!), children playing cricket, and long lines composed of hundreds of school children of all ages, who waved and shouted hello at us as we passed one another along the pathways.

As well as being a pleasant place to walk, the Lodhi gardens finally gave us an opportunity to photograph those chipmunks who had eluded our cameras so skillfully back at Humayun's tomb.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pol* said...

it looks humid... and peaceful and mysterious.

I am curious about the smells in that garden, did it have a smell to itself, or did it smell like the city?

7:52 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Alas, Delhi is so polluted the air is muggy and heavy.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Valentine said...

hey cool bloggs!Keep up the great work.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org