My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

I'm a thirty-something girl who wants to see at least a thousand more amazing things before I die. I live for travel, good books, and amazing conversations. I'm a sometimes belly-dancer, a perpetual junk merchant, and spiders like me a lot. I have fooled myself into thinking I have a green thumb in the garden, but I do at least take some amazing photographs of flowers if I do say so myself. I used to be a "goth" but I'm way too cheerful nowadays, not that it's a bad thing but it's sometimes hard to reconcile skull-collecting and liking Martha Stewart in the same lifetime. I started out wanting to be a mortician and here I am a preschool teacher. You just never know how you'll end up. Oh yeah, and one of these days I'll retire in a little villa in Italy or France with Jeff and a couple of cats.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Villa on Zanzibar

Friday, September 9, 2005

This is the villa we stayed at while staying just outside the village of Nungwi, in the north of Zanzibar.
It was actually part of a small sixteen-room resort called Smiles Beach Hotel, but I just preferred to think of it as a little tropical villa. It really felt like paradise...well, when the water was running anyway.

Jeff and I stayed in the room on the right-hand side of the upper storey, and Jen and her mom stayed in the room next door to us. Anne-Dorte had one of the rooms downstairs.

The room had enormous heavy wooden furniture and a bed that could be draped with mosquito netting.

And an ENORMOUS bathroom that you could sometimes turn the water on and have a shower in. Water shortage notwithstanding, it still felt quite elegant after our recent time in tents. (Yes, even after a couple nights in Stonetown, I was still appreciating sleeping in a bed again.)

Our room had a balcony and walking down the stairs led you to a white sand path. Following the path led you past coconut trees (boy, it would really hurt if one of those babies landed on you) and bougainvillea bushes right down to the nearby beach.

It was not a very good beach for swimming because the tides brought the water right up to a concrete wall at the water's edge except for early in the morning and at nightfall, but there was some lovely warm sand and beach furniture to lie on if you were so inclined (I tried, but I'm just not a sun-bathing person after fifteen minutes or so).

However, I did have an excellently lazy session of just looking out to sea under the shade of a thatched-grass umbrella and contemplating my toes this afternoon for a while.

Life can be very good.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MBA Programs
Find Information on the best MBA Programs at UNHMBA.org